Best Dating Sites for Introverts
Disclosure: When you sign up through links on our site, we may receive a referral commission from partners. For more, see our advertiser disclosure page.
You know what they say – to find a boyfriend or girlfriend, you have to go out and mingle! You have to be an extrovert and start going to clubs, bars, and hang-out spots.
Not a chance, right? That sounds like an introvert’s nightmare!
But you don’t have to put your extrovert mask on just to find a date. One of the most practical ways to find love if you’re shy is by joining a dating site.
In this guide, we’re going to review the 13 best dating sites for introverts, starting with the best overall “Match” experience.
FAQs about Shy Matchmaking
“Does online dating work for shy singles?”
Online dating sites work better for reserved people because they get easier access to more possible matches. The law of averages suggests the more “no’s” you experience, the likelier you will eventually get a yes.
Online dating is the most efficient way to quickly meet more people that doesn’t stress you out or drain your social energy.
According to Psychology Today, shy people prefer online dating because they “have difficulty forming and maintaining” close relationships. A Rice and Markey study in 2009 stated socially anxious individuals preferred communicating online rather than in person.
“Any advice on how to date as an introvert?”
- Be honest, but don’t volunteer too much information too soon.
- Talk about the things that you love and the hobbies/passions that make you interesting.
- Start the conversation with something you both have in common.
- As the initiator, it’s up to you to put the other person at ease. Try to make them laugh.
- Take a high-quality profile picture!
For more information on how to take your absolute best profile photo, get some photo tips directly from one of our best-reviewed sites, Zoosk.
“How can I stay safe when swiping?”
- Google search your date or consider running a background search
- Do not talk about where you live, or provide any financial/residential information
- Don’t take the early conversation off the site
- Always talk to your date via live webcam before meeting
- Choose a public setting for the first date
- Always bring your cell phone and make sure it’s charged
- Tell at least one friend or family member know where you’re going and who you’re dating
“Bars and clubs are lame. What are some date ideas for introverts?”
- Play a board game
- Amusement park
- Food/wine tasting
- Touring a museum
- Discuss books at a bookstore
- Double date with friends
- Comic store
- Live music
Our finds determined that Match.com offers the most advanced searching capabilities, as well as many daily matches because of the large pool of active members. Match’s overall search abilities and matchmaking process will appeal to a timid person’s desire to find common interests. Better yet, you can play the law of averages without facing too much rejection.
EliteSingles and ShyPassions came in a close second and third, because of their opposite and intense focuses; career professionals and free dating without commitment. However, Match’s numerous success stories, many written by introverts, made all the difference.
You may feel intimidated at the idea of signing up for an online dating site, but over time you will get used to the experience. You have total freedom and privacy to follow your heart. Take a chance, fellow introverts, and find a love connection today!