Match.com Review: Is the Membership Worth The Price?
Match.com was the brain child of Gary Kremen and Peng Tsin Ong when they started Electric Classifieds Inc in 1993. Their idea was to harness the power of the internet for matchmaking, making it available to a diverse group of people including men, women and those from the lesbian and gay communities.
The Match.com beta site went live in 1995 and gave every new user a free, lifetime membership. Though the business changed hands several times, by 2004 Match.com was placed in The Guinness Book of World Records as the largest dating site with over 42 million members.
Today, Match has almost 23 million users across 24 countries. They bill themselves as “the number one destination for online dating with more dates, more relationships, & more marriages than any other dating or personals site.” And with features like this, you’ll see why.
- The Match.com Guarantee: If you don’t find a relationship in 6 months, the next 6 are free.
- Match has more serious singles looking for meaningful relationships.
- You can share your profile on any Match sister site like POF, Hinge and others.
- Your membership gives you access to Match Live events.
- There are several choices of membership options plus a free phone app.
- Sign-up takes a bit longer, at 15-30 minutes.
- The Match.com free dating option is very limited in what you can do.
Is Match.com Right for You?
Match is a serious dating site for those of you looking for more than your average hook-up. Match.com uses a unique algorithm, more substantial questionnaires and different ways of matching you to the type of person you are looking for. As a result, you are more likely to match with someone who shares your interests, values and life goals.
Comparatively, if you’re not at the point in your life where you’re ready to date with the purpose of finding an actual relationship, Match.com is likely not the right choice in a dating site. Fortunately, there are plenty of popular dating sites for you! For instance, Adult Friend Finder, Tinder and Clover are perfect sites for casual dating and hooking up.
However, if you’re on the fence about committing to a more serious dating site like Match, here are some things to think about:
- Match requires your time: To find the right person you have to put a great deal of effort into your bio and the qualities you are seeking in a potential mate.
- You’ll need to pay up: To receive all of the features and perks Match has to offer, you’ll have to pay for a membership.
What Match.com Has to Offer
Before you sign up, let’s talk about everything Match.com has to offer you as someone who is ready to get out there and meet your person. From membership prices and features to perks, we are going to walk you through it all.
Review of the Match.com Membership Prices
Match.com does offer a free trial version of their dating site and app. You can fill out your bio, upload up to 26 photos and answer as many questionnaires as you choose. Additionally, you can search for matches, see your matches and send winks to the people who catch your eye. Unfortunately, that’s it. You can’t chat, message or connect in any other way.
Therefore, if you want to talk to that gorgeous gal who loves to water ski or that handsome guy who can cook, you’ll need to pay for a Match.com membership. But, in doing so, you will have access to some exciting features, which we will cover below. But for now, how much is a membership going to set you back? Here’s the lowdown:
Match.com Regular Membership
- 12 months: $15.99
- 6 months: $19.99
- 3 months: $27.99
- 1 month: $39.99
Match.com Premium Membership
- 12 months: $17.99
- 6 months: $21.99
- 3 months: $29.99
Match.com prices are per month; however, your subscription is billed at the full price. If you’d like to pay month by month, you can only do so with a 1-month regular membership. Therefore, you’ll save some cash if you choose a 3-month or longer plan. But if you just want to give the site a try, a 1-month membership is definitely worth the cost.
Finally, Match.com does auto renewal (which you can opt out of if you tend to forget about renewal dates). Additionally, they accept all major credit cards, PayPal and checks or money order sent to their home office address.
What You Get with a Match.com Membership
Beyond the Match.com free trial, their membership benefits and perks are well worth the fees. Plus, no matter which membership plan you choose, you can pay for add-ons as you want them, which makes your plan customizable. Check out what Match has to offer you.
- You can send, receive and respond to messages from any Match member. So, when you find someone you’re interested in, you can start a conversation with them right away.
- You’ll be able to see who has viewed and liked your profile. That way, if you’re crushing on someone and you see that they have viewed and liked your profile, you’re already ahead of the game!
- Use the search feature, refine, add geographic locations, interests, physical features and more to order up the type of potential dates you’re dreaming about.
- You can remove members that you’re not interested in so they no longer pop up in your searches. That makes room for more singles you’ve not had the chance to see.
- You get your matches sent right to your email every 24 hours. No need to log in.
- You can attend Match.com events in your city or while traveling.
- Enjoy game night and have some real-time fun online with potential matches.
The premium tier membership gives you everything I’ve listed above, plus these extra perks:
- You’ll be notified when someone reads your messages so, no need to keep logging in and checking your messages.
- You get an annual profile review from a professional and will receive tips on how you can make your profile stand out which, in turn, will get you more matches.
- You’ll get to use one boost per month. A boost places your profile at the top of the list so you show up in searches first. That gets your profile in front of the eyes of more potential love interests.
- Plus, you get special discounts on Match events which saves you money when you are out mingling with other Match.com members.
As I mentioned before, Match has an add-on menu of features you can pay for separately. Choose from features such as boosts, private browsing, email notifications and Match phone. But the best perk Match offers is called Match Me and here is how it works:
You run across a profile and do a double take. She’s smokin’ hot, she loves fast cars, is agnostic, likes lattes and Labrador Retrievers…. she’s your dream girl! All you need to do is click the Match Me icon on her profile, pay for the feature and you are presented to her at the top of her match list. Just imagine where things could go from there!
The Match.com Algorithm AKA: Matchmaking Magic
Match uses a unique algorithm that pulls the information in your bio, your interests and the qualities you are looking for in a mate to start finding matches for you. Therefore, the more information you add to your profile, the more precise your matches will be. So, you may not be Charles Dickens, but fill out those essay questions and let them see the real you.
Couple that with Match’s smart system, that is watching your every move and activity on the site, and you get an even higher percentage of matches. Match gathers your likes, the people you remove, whom you correspond with and the questions you answer to narrow down prospects even more.
Then, the more you interact with the site’s features, the smarter the matchmaking system gets. And before you know it, you are seeing the type of guys or gals that turn your head in a crowd; no expensive dates, being stood up or getting set up Aunt Flora’s single neighbor. It’s easy, fun and efficient.
No Head Games, Just Fun Games
Instead of mindlessly swiping and pouring through profile after profile, Match offers you some fun and games so you can meet singles in more organic and interesting ways. Yes, they literally offer games, as in Game Night.
On scheduled nights, between 8 and 10 pm, Match fires up the games. Grab a partner and play any of these entertaining games. Or should I say (more ways to get to know someone) disguised as a game!
- Name That Dance: Watch videos of people doing the Cabbage Patch or the Worm and see who can guess that dance the fastest.
- If I Could: You and your partner will be presented with an item to pick like, “If I could drive any car, what would it be?” Type in your answer and compare it with your opponent’s answer.
- Gut Reaction: A single word is flashed on the screen and you respond by typing the first word that comes into your head. Then compare answers. A tip to follow; if you’re playing with a lady you have your eye on and the word “beautiful” pops up, always answer with “You.”
- Drawn Together: Compete against one another trying to figure out the word or phrase by viewing 3 drawings.
- Our Story: Like an online version of Mad Libs where you fill in the blanks with nouns, adjectives and adverbs then read the wacky story you came up with. Have some fun and use out of the ordinary words like toe, nut butter and slippery.
- Best and Worst: Name the best and worst things from your life like concerts, foods, dates and gifts. You’ll really learn a lot about a potential match with this game!
- Romance Rip-Off: Create a super cheesy romance story by taking turns adding a sentence. This could go really cheesy or really spicy, take your pick and follow her lead.
- Food Critic: Name your favorite place for pizza, a fat juicy burger or the best smoothies. Who knows? You may have a favorite restaurant in common and end up enjoying bottomless fries by the weekend!
Review of Match.com Events
Think outside the app or the computer, get out of the house and play with other Match singles. Match arranges events in cities all over the country and invites their users out to enjoy all sorts of activities. This is another way to meet that potential mate in a laid-back environment where sparks can fly and you can feel that physical attraction.
Some of the activities Match has hosted have included cocktail parties, cooking classes, art and wine nights, dances and even bowling outings. And if you are an adventurous type of person, then join in on Match’s bucket list activities. Go rock climbing, skydiving, drive a race car or bungee jumping. What better way to meet someone who loves to do the same things as you?!
If you’re heading out on the town to spend money anyway, it makes more sense to join a group of people who are looking for their person in life too. There will be no worrying about who’s married or has a boyfriend who happened to step away to visit the men’s room. Everyone is there for the same reason you are; being single and ready to mingle.
Don’t Just Take My Word for it; Read This!
You’re probably asking, “What’s the catch?” then thinking this is a big sales pitch. I can understand that. Which is why I have scoured around the internet and found you some Match.com reviews. No, these aren’t paid actors, they are real Match.com users who had success with the site.
These reviews were pulled from Consumer Reports, a website where people generally let their opinions, good or bad, fly.
Match Not Your Thing? Try These Dating Sites
So, maybe you’re not quite ready for a serious relationship or Match.com doesn’t have the vibe you’re looking for. I have you covered with a few alternative sites you can try. I pulled together sites that cover a range of wants and needs from international dating to hating. See if any of these sites are a good fit for you.
POF (Plenty of Fish)
POF is a sister site of Match.com but is different in several ways. POF is a pretty popular site as it gives you perks that other dating sites charge big bucks for. Yes, that means free! POF has been matching people since 2003 and has more than 90 million members across the world. That ranks POF as one of the most popular dating sites around.
Additionally, if you are interested in other cultures and would love to carry on a long-distance romance with someone from an exotic locale, POF is one of the best sites for international dating.
POF offers you:
- Free unlimited messaging and voice messaging to anyone you want to meet.
- No face filters allowed so what you see is what you get! No more walking into a meeting place and not recognizing your date!
- In depth profiles that show family connections, religious preferences, interests and more.
- No social media linking is required for your privacy. However, you have the option of using Facebook to sign in.
- Keep your favorite would-be dates organized with the list feature.
Ready to cast that line and reel in the love of your life? Try POF today!
The world’s largest social media site has taken the unsolicited messages and half nude pics flooding unsuspecting inboxes and channeled it to create a dating site. So, if you are already on Facebook, it’s easy to use and very convenient. Facebook Dating takes everything it already knows about you and fills in your likes, interests and photos.
As a result, Facebook is able to make love connections right away. There’s nothing to download and the dating site runs right on the Facebook website and mobile app.
Facebook Dating gives you:
- A separate profile and messenger box via the Facebook mobile app
- An LGBTQ friendly dating site with non-binary and sexual orientation options
- A site that’s geared toward more long-term relationships with deeper questionnaires
- Syncs with your Facebook and Instagram photos so it’s super easy to have a great profile.
- Allows preemptive blocking so you never see an ex.
If you’re ready to try a dating app that has a familiar layout and is likely a place you already hand out, give Facebook Dating a try.
When you’re tired of the same ole dating sites where you talk about how much you like Italian food and football, Hater bases it’s matchmaking on things you hate. This dating app was featured and funded by Mark Cuban on Shark Tank and is growing it’s userbase daily. The app is unique and fun as you get to swipe things you love and hate to build your matchmaking percentages.
Plus, you get:
- A completely ad free app, seriously! No pop-ups or annoying advertisements for things you’ll never buy.
- Use the Facebook sign-up options and it populates your info automatically
- Match with people locally or worldwide so you keep your options open
- The app shows your matches with % of compatibility
- You can send free question cards to break the ice and learn more about your matches. They are also great conversation starters so, no more boring, “Hey, what’s up?”
So, if you’re looking for something a little different, why not give Hater a try? The app is free to download and free to use.
Match.com Review, Final Verdict
Today’s world can be busy. Between work, side hustles and other responsibilities, there isn’t much time to get out and search for the one person to share your life with. Plus, the set-ups and blind dates from well-meaning family and friends can get to be too much. How hard can it be to find someone amazing to spend time with?
Honestly, it’s not that hard at all. With Match.com, there are people just like you looking for someone just like you. Match saves you time by doing a majority of heavy lifting and using their matchmaking system for narrow down your choices to the best people for you.
In addition, you can get to know perspective dates on your own time schedule. You can play games and relax on your down-time, having fun while getting to know someone better. And finally, Match gives you premium time outside of the house with their exclusive events. No more wasting time wandering aimlessly through clubs.
So, take that precious time and use it wisely. Check out Match today and start your search for free.